Friday, June 25, 2010

I never knew circular music was a political game



He was not born with a silver spoon yet he was able to survive the hustle and bustle of the wilderness that his immediate environment proved to be. Gabriel Oche-Amanyi fondly known as Terry G hails from Benue State but he was born and bred on the streets of Iju-Fagba, a suburb in Lagos State.
His popularity as a musical artiste apparently dwarfs his massive potential as a music producer and song writer but this takes nothing away from his rising profile as an artiste loved by many and genuinely appreciated by many more. He hit the Nigerian music scene with his weird but somewhat addictive brand of music.
He made news after the highly publicized feud with AY.com on whose track Pass Me Your Love he featured. His hit single, Free Madness, also created a major buzz and added a new slang to the list of popular slangs in the Nigerian music industry. Cornered in his studio, Terry-G spoke to MUTIAT ALLI, about his several controversies, his pet project and why he is bent on re-branding his kind of music.

Congratulations on the Hip Hop World win, how did you feel winning the Best Street Hop category?
I never expected to get any award because of the controversies around me, but with the decisions of my other crew, I decided to attend because being absent may cause further controversy for me. Winning the headie meant a lot to me as this have made me know that my music is been appreciated.

You have been linked with several controversies in past few months, how have you been able to cope with it?
I cannot deny the controversies because there is nothing I can do about it since the news has gotten to that level that I cannot stop. I never knew circular music was a political game; you have to win somebody’s soul and mind before you get certain things. I think you don’t get all your worth for the work you do but at times people don’t have a choice because it’s a public thing. All this controversies was never planned by me
Talking about the controversies, do you think these allegations are baseless and deliberate?
They are not deliberate because I think it is what they hear they say. Some people may not like you so go out there to spread baseless rumours. They only know Terry G and not Gabriel. Maybe if they did, they probably would have a change of mind because Terry G doesn’t plan the controversy, he just finds himself in it. Gabriel is shy and responsible.

After all your controversies, how do you intend to protect your image in the industry?
Presently, I want to re-brand my image and my production outfit because a person considers it as a rascal outfit. For now I don’t want have anything doing with campus organized shows and as also I have tried organizing a press conference to re-build and correct the impression people have towards me.

Do you think you are a threat to many in the industry?
I don’t think so, everyone has their own role to play and so I try not to offend anyone. I feel the industry is too political so when you blend too much it causes disrespect and conflict, so it’s best to stay on your own. I believe everybody is unique in one way or the other.
How did music begin for you?

It started at Redeem Christian Church of God Praise Palace, Okoba, Lagos, where my mum is a chorister. As the first in a family of two boys and two girls, it was compulsory to go to church everyday so in the process I started playing the drums, keyboard and base guitar. I began singing in church and at a point became the choir master. My sisters also sing and I used to sing at the Redeem camp about five, six years ago. At some point, I began recording and people encouraged me to sing so I did my gospel/inspirational songs demo as I didn’t have enough money to do an album. When I needed sponsors, I met Shola Animashuan of Hip Hop World who introduced me to Faze. I later worked for faze as his back-up singer, so later I began to change my style of music to conventional.

What is your relationship like with Faze?
Let me say this that working with Faze was one the best thing that has ever happened to me and he me break through the industry because then, it was rare for people to know that I was his back-up singer because our relationship was more of brotherhood. I will never forget him for reason been that he taught me so many things about music, equipment and production.

What was your first major production aside working with Faze?
My first production was the release of Kemistry’s singles Shake them Down as she was the one who made that name Terry-G sticks in the industry because that was my major production. I am also very grateful to her on that aspect.

Critics say your second album title; Ginjah your Swagga isn’t your coinage?
It’s mine but I also don’t know if they coined it. You see, these are words which won’t last for life; before it was free me and there was controversy. I’ll advice them is to keep updating their game. I needed to change my style and do something differently so with Gingah your Swaggah I was trying not to bore my fans and at the same time update my status. I needed a difference. It means putting zeal into whatever you do.

Why is that most of your productions come with the same beat sound?
The fact that people complain about the similarities in most of album does not mean that I will change my style. When a Mokassa singer produces him songs, you get to notice the same beat so that you don’t go out of content and as well miss your teaming fans. I believe my musical production has a consistence of beat. In a nut shell, the beat may not sound similar but familiar.

Do you really start out as a dancer or as an artiste?
Let me clear this off, I never started out as a dancer but rather, I started as a vocalist. My dancing on stage and in most of the videos I featured in is not for any other thing than to make my fans happy and appreciate me more, I don’t believe in the already made artiste who feels pompous while performing on stage. To me I believe if a fan wants to listen to your songs, he/she would probably go buy your album but when they come to shows to watch you, they want to see something else entirely. I use my dance to create an impression.

In what way are you contributing to the music scene in Nigeria?
My contribution to the Nigeria music industry especially is to help in the up-bringing of up-coming artiste because I notice that it will be very difficult to mingle with the established ones. In a nut shell, in future, I see myself bringing out the best in others.

What is the House of Ginja project all about?
It comprises of myself, Rakwell, Prince Banton, D Money and I.Q and is going to be a continuous recruitment exercise. These artists will be the first set and after the album has been released I will pick up new acts. It’s my own way of helping up and coming artists and I won’t be a member of the next because the first group would be popular and have also made a name for them. The album is titled 8th Mainland Bridge because we are projecting into the future.

Where do you see yourself in the nearest future?
In the next years to come, I see myself doing what I know best, shelving from all kinds of controversies, and more importantly been of the best of my behaviour. So also I see my record label; Terry’s Production (TGP) growing fast in the industry.

So what do you think different Terry-G from other artiste?
To me the uniqueness in everyone artiste different them from another, I have linked with so many words. Take for instance, atimes when am performing on stage, I go to the extreme to do some crazy stuffs to get the hearts of my fans. Artiste can never be the same because we have chose different genres of music.

Are you involved in any relationship?
Yes, I am currently in a serious relationship that I think may lead into marriage if things work out as planned. People sometimes referred to me as gay but in spite by serious schedule as a producer, I still make time for love.

What has fame done to you?
Frankly speaking, I try not to get carried away by my success. Before me, many people have walked this path and I ask myself, where are they today? Even as I speak, many more are coming. So, the advice I have given myself is that fame and success must not get to my head because when I allow that to happen to me, I believe the next thing that comes up is that I start misbehaving and that I don’t want to happen to me.

What message do you have for your fans out there?
My gospel message as I want to refer to it to my fans is that, I will never disappoint them and as well that I will behave myself so well because there are two different image Terry-G the artiste and Gabriel as a person.

No comments:

Post a Comment