Friday, June 11, 2010

I seize to be referred to as an artiste after the death of Dagrin...K-solo


Osun State Graduate of Electrical Engineering from the Ilaro Polytechnic, Solomon Oyeniyi is for sure a person to reckon with as far as the production of quality music is concern in the entertainment industry as he has been in the music world for twelve years. Cornered in his studio, he spoke with MUTIAT ALLI on the rumoured biff with Paul Play, reasons why Nigerian organized awards are not credible enough, his pet project and other sundry issues.


How has it been coping without a father?
It’s really hard but I just have to cope with the situation. I will always remember him because he made who I am today, although he a strict father who wanted the best for me because I was the son in the family. He will surely be missed by the entire family but from me especially as he gave up right in hand.

How long have you been in the industry?
I have been in the system for quite some times now because I started off in my church where my parents were Deacon and Deaconess , but professional this is my twelfth year in the industry, not as an artiste but as a producer who believes in the progress of the people.

How has the journey been for you?
It has been very hectic because before now things have not been so easy at all because atimes, I refer to myself as a person whose glory was taken from him, but right now I have been able to make ends meet. For fact that I had the passion toward what I was doing, and for me to make ends meet, I have to play in clubs to raise money because then, I was in school.

Which do you think is more profitable, being a producer or as an artiste?
Let me clarify this issue, I never started as an artiste but rather I started as a producer but the fact still remains that the two is okay for me, being a producer has really fetched me more money than been an artiste. I must be candid to say this that immediately after the death of Late Rap artiste, Dagrin, I seize to be referred to as an artiste because its really sad losing him to cold hands of death.
So, you see the death of Dagrin as a big blow to the entertainment industry?
Yes, because it was at the time when he was supposed to be getting his rewards that he left us in the industry. He was a genius and down to earth person, so losing him was a big blow to us who are his colleagues. But the painful aspect of it was that after his death, different things were said about him and to be candid we must mind what we say about people.

Why do you choose Igberega Records and not any other name?
'Igberega' in Yoruba means 'pride' and the whole concept is all about Africa's pride. I have travelled to different parts of the world and I have met people from different continents. When I went to South Africa, for a course in production, I saw blacks being treated as nonentities, but behind all their successes, there is a black man. I have lord of Ajasa, Clever Jay and other artistes on my label now. Presently because of the way things are going Nigeria most especially, I have to change the name to K-solo Incorporated Production but my fans are really angry about the sudden change in name.

What can you say as regards the organization of entertainment awards in Nigeria?
To me, most of the awards organized in Nigeria are not credible enough to be referred to as awards because you don’t say you are having awards, and you have your entire crew among the judges. Take for instance, an award like Hip-Hop award, you don’t have to make your team mate the judging the crew, since it is all about entertainment then, you take your judges from several record labels like Storm, Mo-Hits, Coded Tunes, Kennis Music and at the end of the day, you find out that we will be having a credible award and not that at the end of the event, people start complaining.

How far have you gone education wise?
I schooled in and outside Lagos. I was born in Lagos and had my primary education here in Lagos too. Thereafter, I moved to Nigerian Military School, Zaria, because my mother then was a colonel. I almost finished there then, but I had to opt out. I would have proceeded to Defense Academy if I had not opted out. I did that because I didn't want to work with the military.

Where your parent in total supports of your musical career?
It was war then, because my mother would always want me to dance to the tune of her music, and I had made up my mind that I was not going into military. We had disagreement, but with the support of my sisters and my late father, I was able to come back to Lagos. I later went to Federal Polytechnic, Ilaro, where I studied Electrical Engineering. My course has really helped, but this is what I have always loved to do. Before then I had nursed the ambition of becoming a medical doctor. My parents were ministers in the Church, and so my father woke us every morning with hymns. We were always going to church and at a very tender age I was a chorister in the Church. When I was in primary school I was a member of the school choir and I loved music class a lot, at a point, I used to come home with my school piano. I was a pianist and my mother felt I was getting too involved in music at the expense of my academics. So she threw the piano away but bought another piano for the School management. At a time while I was still in school I had a music manuscript and my mother thought I was getting serious with my academics but one day she discovered I was actually doing music stuff and she dealt with me that day. Later she made a time-table for me creating time for me to read and for my leisure. When others were playing, she said I could do music then. It wasn't easy because I was stubborn, and I love to always have my way in all I do.

You started off as a gospel artiste, why the sudden shift into circular music?
I never started as a gospel artiste but I have always played in the church as I was one of the senior members of the choir group in my church. I basically started as a producer not as an artiste because I had the mind set of re-branding the face of the entertainment industry in Nigeria.

What differentiate your kind of music from others?
The fact still remains that my kind of music is gospel in nature because you cannot hear me sing songs that have vulgar language. I sing songs that teaches moral that is the more reason why when I sing songs like love, RNB, Hip-hop, I make sure it is meaningful to the hearing of the listeners. I do my stuffs

What does it take to be a producer of reputation in Nigeria?
I didn’t learn it I never had a teacher that’s why none can claim teaching me. But a major thing to know about becoming a producer is at you have to be called by God. By that I mean, it must be a passion, there has to be a drawing from within. I don’t care if my wife and everybody in the world is having problems with me, but when my studio is locked up, that is a big problem. I can’t take. If you want to kill me, take me out of music.

What song actually shot into limelight in the entertainment industry?
Although I have done so many productions, but Timaya’s Dem Mama album really showed the world the stuff I was made of. Another song that would have given me fame was Paul Play’s Angel of my life even though I was not given credit for the production.

What is your view about the present day entertainment industry?
Seriously, we are getting there, but we will not progress if we don’t stop this issue of belonging to a click or caucus. For me, I don’t believe in all that because I have got a lot that I am thinking. What I believe on is that whoever I work with most progress in the industry. The other thing is this issue of piracy, we cannot stop them but we still have the chances of curbing it low. What baffles me again in the industry is that some of our artiste that has gotten hit songs already wouldn’t want to give others the chance to blow.

No comments:

Post a Comment