Wednesday, June 2, 2010

My mothers disability encourage me




Two years after her reign as the Most Beautiful Girl in Nigeria, delectable Munachi Abii whose dream is to become a diplomat and an ambassador of her country not just as a beauty queen but as a responsible and politically elite individual. In this chat with MUTIAT ALLI, this beauty diva who believes her selling point is her charming look and life style.

What is the major difference between Munachi and the present you?
There’s no difference at all I’m still the same Munachi and I still have the same emotional traumas. As for my family and friends everybody is happy for me, we still have a good relationship. But some people I wasn’t close to before now call to say “Munachi remember I ‘m your cousin from here and all that.”

When you entered for the competition what inspired it, did you think you had all it takes to win?
I never thought I had what it took per se, but I just wanted to go for the experience and the fact that I always had that dream.

What is the thing you like most about being MBGN (World)?
The fact that I wear a crown; I get treated like royalty, so it’s good.

Do you have a pet project you will be working on?
At the moment we have a contract with the Sickle Cell Foundation, so I will be focusing on that. Then there are other things I would like to support as an individual not just as a queen. I will support polio victims and do my best to make a difference.

Why do you choose polio?
I chose polio because I can relate to the situation, my mum has polio. I keep saying this, it’s a bit of a cliche right now. I know what it’s like to be a daughter of a disabled person. I know what some of them feel and I also know that some of them are very insecure, they don’t have anybody to help them and people always look down on those that have. I would like as much as possible to make life easy for them as much as I can.

What is fashion like for you?
So long as it looks good, I’ll wear it. I have my own style, I don’t wear things because people are wearing it. I just do what I want to do. I don’t believe in dressing inappropriately because you want to get attention. I believe in dressing according to how you feel. If you feel sexy, you want to wear something sexy, fine, but you don’t have to look indecent.

I can see you are not against showing off your cleavage?
Don’t expose too much, but look good.

When it comes to the talent hunt segment what is it you have that you can show the world?
I would like to keep it African. The typical thing to do is to sing or play a guitar, but I intend to do something, different and you’ll see it when it’s time, I don’t wait to let the cat out of the bag just yet.

How do you handle the kind of jewelry you wear?
I don’t wear too much, but it comes with the job, I have to look good. I’m not a gold person, I’m of silver than gold person, but if it looks good, I’ll wear it.

For some beauty queen, it’s a scandal free reign, while others are laced with one scandal or the other, how do you hope to set yourself apart?
I’ll do as much as possible to keep away from scandals. I would like to be on my best behaviour, not to step on anybody’s toes. I’ll just do what I can to keep my head level and I’m sure everything will be fine. Although I have been related with peter of the P-square group but would not want to talk about for now.

Is there anybody you admire amongst the past queens?
I never knew any of the queens personally so I can’t look up to them in terms of attitude I do not know who they are, it is just what I see and you can’t judge people by what you see on television. But I met Bianca once, at the airport and she’s extremely beautiful and she’s the only one, I can say is hot. I do look up to her.

What turns you off in people?
People that backstab I don’t like it at all. I like to take people for who they are and if you disrespect that, you make me think otherwise. If you want to say something to me, say it to my face, if you don’t want me to do something, you better let me know to avoid situations.

Your mother being on a wheelchair, has that not affected you in anyway?
It has not in anyway, because my mum is a great person, she’s a very strong woman, half of the things she does, people that have two legs can’t do it. I don’t see her being on a wheelchair as a challenge, I don’t see it as a disadvantage, rather it should be something that you could use to your favour, don’t let whatever circumstance you find yourself weight you down. It’s has no effect with me whatsoever. Let me say at this point that my disability encouraged me the more to strive hard in all my endeavours.

What was the reaction of your family like when you decided to go in for the contest, knowing you will come on stage in swimsuit?
They were very supportive; my mum is hilarious when it comes to wearing swimsuit. When she saw me she was, oh my God, she was a bit shocked, but she supported me, she was at the contest, my family was there for me and that really helped me get far in the competition.

Tell us a bit about growing up?
I had a very normal childhood, like most families. A lot of my cousins were staying with us, so the house was always full, there was never a dull moment in my house. It was fun, most of the memories, I had are memories worth to be remembered. And if things didn’t happen the way they did, I might not be here today, so I am grateful for everything. I’m currently in Benson Idahosa University in Benin.

Perfume choice?
If it smells good, I’ll wear it, it shouldn’t choke me. I like Estee Lauder, it’s a nice perfume but I could wear anything else, I don’t have to stick to one.
You don’t go to the spa, facials etc...
Spas will be later, I don’t have facials maybe sometime in future, I will but right now, I am just a regular girl. I am just myself, I prefer the inner beauty than the outside one, because you could be beautiful outside and horrible inside. The beauty will fade I won’t look like this when I am eighty, I hope to but if I don’t look like this, when I’m eighty or ninety fine, I just want to stay beautiful on the inside, that’s all that matters.

What does style mean to you?
Be yourself, that’s a style on it’s own. If you are yourself if that way, you can’t copy other people because, if you do that you won’t be able to stand for yourself and if you don’t stand for something you’ll fall for anything. Just be yourself and if you want to wear a suit and damask, so long as you feel comfortable in it why not.

What has life thought you?
I tend not to judge people by what I see, there’s more than what meets the eye, not everybody likes you. So just keep yours eyes open.

How do you relax?
I sleep. Sometimes I hang out with my few friends. Most times I prefer to listen to music or busy writing songs or sketching. More importantly I love partying because with that it helps free my heart from unnecessary burden.

What is your greatest wish in life?
I wish to be a very successful person richer than Bill Gates, than Oprah but at the same time, I still want to keep my level head, be nice to people, be able to touch lives as much as possible, and still keep it humble, so I’ll be able to walk on the street without body guards and all.

What is it like from the male folk?
They don’t bug me. I can still walk on the street without people knowing who I am so that’s a good thing. I don’t get too many people disturbing me or bugging my phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment