Wednesday, September 22, 2010

‘My kids ’ll disown me if I pose nude in movies’


Born September 21, 1977, delectable Yoruba actress, Iyabo Ojo, is surely one of the most-sought-after actresses in the industry today. She is seen as being controversial in a way, having been linked with some failed relationships in recent years. In this chat with MUTIAT ALLI, this down- to- earth actress, a graduate of Estate Management from The Lagos State Polytechnic and mother of two (Festus and Priscilla), reveals why people consider her as being controversial, her love life, kids and other sundry issues


WHAT will you have loved to change if you had a second bold opportunity?
That would be my marriage because I would have loved to work it back the way it used to be before.


How has life been for you as a single parent of two kids?
It has been very challenging. Though I am coping along with it because my children have been doing quite fine even without growing up with their father. Let me say at this point that I am enjoying every bit of being a single mother and I believe with time, my children will blend with it.


Don't you think losing fatherly care could affect your kids?
Well, I know but they are already getting used to it because all through their growing up, they only recognise me as their mother. Although losing fatherly care might affect them psychologically but that is the more reason why I am taking good care of them so well, so that they don't get to feel that. As a matter of fact, their father still comes around to say hello to them and take them out.


Talking about your past, what led to the dissolution of your first marriage?
To be candid, the marriage did not just work out for the two of us and as such, we had to call it a quit because there is no point wasting time in a marriage that you wouldn't benefit from. Let me clear this point that the dissolution of my first marriage was not based on infidelity as other media houses has publicised it, we just had to go our separate ways.


Would you accept apologies from your Ex, if he comes back?
Never! I even believe he would not do such a thing because he should have done that a very long time ago, I mean after we broke up. It's actually too late for him.


Would you say you have enjoyed your life till date?
It's not been easy as I speak to you, although I sometimes feel lonely at home most especially when my kids are asking about their father. To me there is nothing I can do to the situation at present because life must go on and since I have a boyfriend now, whenever I feel the 'urge', I just give a call down to him; at least I now have somebody who could satisfy me. But the fact also remains that I am not enjoying my love life as before when things was rosy.


It is believed that you are not friendly among your colleagues and a fan, how true is that?
Actually, this is not the first time that I am hearing this, but the fact remains that I am amiable and free among my colleagues but as for the case of my fans, you know atimes, fans can be funny when they overdo certain things. There is limitation to my friendliness among my fans but I trust that I am not harsh.


What was growing -up like for you?
Growing-up was fun and exciting for me because before the demise of my late father, I had enjoyed life to the fullest because we had the money and my parents took good care of us. They ensure that we didn't lack anything. One thing also is that growing up with my two elder brothers was fun, although they are based in the UK, but at least we still speak once in a while. I will never forget my late father for his impact on my life and my mum, she is doing very well.


How do you feel when you read negative stories about you in Newspapers and soft sell journals?
There is no time I come across negative stories about myself that I feel so well because it's very bad when you read them, most especially when there is no bit of truth. Also, I just believe that it is part of the price one has to pay for being a celebrity, but I will advise that journalists get adequate information before going to press. I can say authoritatively that most of the wrong stories published about me are not true.


There is this thrilling news around that you recently travelled to the UK for an abortion?
I was actually expecting that question because when I heard the news, I was devastated that people could just cook up untrue stories about you. Let's forget the fact that I am a celebrity, I had actually gone to the UK for the progress of my profession and I don't think abortion will be my next line of action at this stage of my career. Come to think of it, if I was to go for an abortion, I can just walk down to my hospital and my doctor will do it with little money rather than spend a lot of money securing a ticket and the payment abroad. I laughed over it when I heard the story, any way.


As a single mother, are you into any other relationship?
Yes, I am into another relationship but I won't disclose the identity of the lucky guy for security reasons, as I may want to put it. I am not in a hurry for another marriage so as to avoid what once happened to me. I don't want it to be a rush-in and rush-out thing. I am just taking my time with my new- found love but when the time is ripe, we will let the world know about it.


So how well do you cope with controversies?
I have tried my best to be less controversial but press people will not let you rest as they keep on bringing out issues that are not important. I will say that I am not a controversial person because I am the reserved and conservative type. I don't interfere with other people's affairs. I am less concerned about popularity because the more you appear, the more your problems accumulate. Recently I just decided to develop this thick skin as I don't even get moved by these things again.


If a role demands that you pose nude, will you play such a role?
I am sure no producer will even dare ask me such because they understand that I am usually selective in the role of I play even when I was told to play the role of mad woman in a movie, I meditated over it before I played the role. I love roles that are very challenging but not to the extent of posing nude. I cannot even consider the role even if the pay is high because when you play such, you lose your dignity, respect and your ability to mingle with others would be limited as they will see you from another angle entirely. My children would disown me if I play such a role because they sometimes complain about some roles I had played in movies.


Will you allow any of your kids to take up career in acting?
I believe it's a free a world, so as long as they enjoy what they want to do, my only help is to give them that motherly support needed by every kid to excel in life. I think my daughter is going take after me because she loves what I am doing.


Do you agree that the industry is getting more competitive?
I agree that the industry is getting more competitive and challenging but this does not apply to the film industry alone. It cuts across other profession so take for instance, the Tele-communication industry, everyone is trying to be unique in their way as they introduce several packages for their customers. This also applies to the film industry because you now see producers shooting films with a high definition camera and as well the actors and actresses too are putting more life into the roles they play and it goes on. So also, we have new stars coming up. Then you find the old ones doing everything possible to secure good roles so that our chances are not been taken over by a new set of actors coming into the industry.


Can you speak more about the controversies you have been linked with…?
I see all these controversies as a price to be paid for being a celebrity, we would not be allowed to rest because what the general public wants to hear is our mistakes. Although bad stories sell but the media should be always exercise caution before they go to press. It is in Nigeria where I see that when a celebrity is seen often time together with a person, then the next thing you see in most of the headlines of soft sell magazines is Iyabo Ojo in sizzling romance with this or that. I have been linked with Muka Ray, Danny Young and some others. I don't care about all that because I believe they are making me feel stronger. They are just my friends.


What differentiates Iyabo from her female colleagues in the industry?
First and foremost let me say my babyish looks and the way I run my things. Although I belong to a caucus, I am just myself and I treat everybody accordingly without being biased in any form. I don't believe in flashy things, the Yoruba people will call it Karimi caucus (showing off) because I am comfortable with the little God has blessed me with. At least I can sit comfortably and eat three square meals without problem. I belong to a caucus that has been helpful to my career and so I don't mingle with everybody, but at least I see myself totally different from them because nobody can be.


What does sex mean to you?
Well, sex is the ability for you to get satisfied by your spouse and request for more when you are not. Let me chip in this, that most of the time my estranged husband then demanded for sex, from me, I give him 100 percent cooperation, so he would not chase young girls. To some married couples, marriage is not all about the money and fame thing but the ability of both couples to attend to the needs of one another.


Can you say with all sincerity that no movie producer has ever seen your pant?
Never!! I cannot sell myself cheap all in the name of securing a role in the movie industry. Although that has happened before in the industry I guess but for my case, it has never occurred to me because I believe it is the way you carry yourself that people see you.


How do you intend to give back to the society?
Already, I am giving back to the society that has brought me this far but not in a lousy way because I have decided to keep myself low in what I do. Presently, I pay the school fees of some children and I also intend extending my gesture to the motherless homes and especially the sick people.

No comments:

Post a Comment