Friday, May 28, 2010

I was never a cultist-Kelvin Ikeduba


Kelvin Ikeduba a graduate of Economics from the University of Benin is often known to play ‘bad boy’ roles in most movies he features in. This cool headed actor takes us into his journey into the movie world.

As an economics graduate, why did you opt for acting?
Let me tell you the fact, I did not leave economics for acting, but rather acting chose me and I must confess to you that I am really enjoying what I am into. I am not saying that for me to be an economist is a barrier, but the fact still remains that my parents wanted me to practise an economics-related profession as I have also aimed at being an economist, but one thing led to another and here I am taking acting as a full time profession.
What has been the most challenging role you’ve played in a movie?
To me every movie comes with a challenge of its own, and the challenge is the actor himself because for him to interpret certain roles to the taste of the producer is a challenge. For instance, you being a good person and asked to play the role of an armed robber, you being a mechanic in real life and asked to play the role of a doctor. I wouldn’t say a movie is that challenging to me because I keep on playing different roles that at the end of the day, I just wondered if I was actually the person who did that.
How many movies have you done altogether?
The problem I have now is that I don’t keep records of the movies I’ve featured in. But if I’m to sum up the films I have done in both the English and Yoruba genres, it should be more than hundred, I mean counting from 2000 when I started acting.
Did you ever set out to be an actor?
Not really, but I have loved acting because as a little kid then, I loved going to the cinema to see some movies and at the end of the day when I got home, I would stand in front of my mirror and try if I could still remember some of the actions of the movie. Later I developed interest in the movie business and I’ve always waited for the day I would be able to appear before the screen and show to the world that I have got talent.
You have been known with the English genre of movies, why the sudden change to the Yoruba genre of movies?
It is not a matter of moving from the English genre to the Yoruba genre. To me I believe as an actor, you should be versatile as this broadens your ability to feature in all movies across the country. Most Indian actors you see today don’t even speak English language. Rather they do better in their own genres. My ability to do well in both genres should not be seen as me leaving the English section of the movie industry completely for the Yoruba genre.
As a young superstar in the movie industry, who are those you look up to as role models?
Definitely, I have people that I admire their works. I admire Sam Dede a lot, Francis Duru, the late Hubert Ogunde, the late Tom West, Alhaji Kareem Adepoju (Baba Wande). To the females, I love the works of Bimbo Akintola and Omotola Jalade-Ekeinde. These are people that when I watch their movies, I get more encouraged and determined about my acting career.
When was your first time on a movie set?
My first time was way back in late 1999 when I had a camera appearance otherwise known as Waka Pass in a movie titled Suitor. I was in a bar and I was served a bottle of stout and a chicken to go with it. I was so happy because in my first appearance, I had the opportunity of eating a chicken.
Considering your prominence in both the English and Yoruba movies, which of the genres would you say you did well in most?
I have done tremendously well in both genres and I think my impact has been felt as an actor. Although appearing on Yoruba set then gave me little problems, as time went on I was able to carve a niche for myself. Little wonder why people attach me to the Yoruba movie industry because of my constant appearance. In a nutshell, I have done so well in both. I love Yoruba movies for the fact that they have rich content and script compared to their English counterpart.
Would you allow any of your children in the nearest future to become an actor?
Sincerely speaking, I would not like to be that kind of parent that dictates to my kids what they should become in future. It’s a free world as they are bound to make decision that will be favourable to them. I have this belief that when you choose a career for your children, they don’t excel well compared to when they are given free hand to do so.
University of Benin has over the years been associated with relatively high rate of cult activities. What is your take on this issue?
Saying that my school is known for cult activities does not mean I was a cult member because then, my colleagues also had that impression that I was a member, probably because of the way I dressed and my attitude. Way back in school, cultists are easily identified with having a broad chest which I have naturally and that was why my mates referred to me as a cultist. It took me so many years to correct that impression. I was never a cult member.
Were your parents in support of your acting career?
You should understand that no parent will ever support any child who wants to take acting as a profession. Although my parents did not go against any decision I made, after close study and they saw that I had more passion for acting, they had no choice than to let me go into it. They finally got me the necessary support I needed and more importantly, their blessings.
What’s your view about the recent kidnapping in Nollywood?
To me I don’t think kidnapping is a way to survive in a country like ours. It is in the western world that we see that actors who people see as role models are being kidnapped because of money. In other countries, celebrities are worshipped as God but the reverse is the case if we take into consideration what we experience here in Nigeria. What people don’t understand is that for the fact that you see a person as a celebrity does give that impression that he or she is in money. Everybody is just trying to make ends meet.
In your own view, do you think Nigeria has the third largest movie industry in the world?
Definitely I agree to that because when we look back to when we’ve just started, you will agree with me that as far as the Nigerian movie industry is concerned, we have improved in so many ways. For instance, our production level has grown excellently from the previous movie shot with the old fashioned camera. Now you see our producers shooting their movies on high definition cameras which other countries have imbibed as well. I represent ninja to the core; let’s just make this clear to Hollywood that we are taking over.
Where do you intend to take your movie career in the nearest future?
The ambition of every actor in Nigeria is to be in Hollywood and this is where I intend taking my acting career to. I have done nothing yet as the best of me is still to come.
Have you received any award so far?
Yes, I’ve received several awards but I have lost count of them. I can still remember the one I got from City People Awards as the Best Supporting Actor and as well a nomination from AMAA for the Best Supporting Role.
Do you take part in any other thing apart from acting?
Sure, I have a project I am currently working on. When the time comes, I will let the world know about it. For now it’s a personal issue. I am a hustler.
Why is it that often times you play ‘bad boy’ roles in movies?
Let me tell you that the society also understands this because you cannot have everybody playing good roles all through a movie. Some people have to be bad when the need arises. I am a versatile actor, I can play any role but not to the extent of being nude. In a nutshell, I would say 80% of the roles I play are those of a ‘bad boy’ and I enjoy playing the roles, maybe because I’ve got the look and posture but I should not be judged by that. I am a good guy, but on set I am bad depending on the role to play.
Among other actors in the movie industry, who would you say brought you this far?
My sister …, it will not be good if I start mentioning names but for my constant appearance in Yoruba movies, I give kudos to Murphy Afolabi because he is the one behind my appearance in most Yoruba movies. Most times I feel comfortable working with him on set.
Do you have any movie of your own?
Not at all because I’m not a producer and I don’t plan to become one for now. I just want to be more dedicated to my acting career.
You are among the single actors in the industry. When should we expect the invitation?
Marriage is the next thing for me as I believe I am old enough to cater for the needs of my family. Just keep your fingers crossed, hopefully before the end of the year.


No comments:

Post a Comment