Friday, May 28, 2010

MY TALENT WORKED FOR ME, NOT GBENGA ADEYINKA


Ogun state born American returnee, Olufemi Oladipupo Adeyinka who goes by the stage name Femi was unknown in entertainment circles until the release of his first major single entitled Never felt love like this. Ever since, his star has been on the horizon. Femi is also a sibling to popular comedian Gbenga Adeyinka De 1st. In this chat with MUTIAT ALLI, he reveals how he got connected to Kennis Music and why left the United States.

You spent so many years in the United States and you are now here in Nigeria. Tell us what brought you home?
Yes, I was persuaded by my brother Gbenga Adeyinka the comedian who told me that the entertainment market here was doing much better as there was need for me to come back home to represent my country.
How do you feel coming back to Nigeria after a long while?
I feel great and filled because I have not been in Nigerian for a long time. I could still remember that I left the shores of the country exactly when I was twelve years old. I am so happy as well because I miss my parents and siblings so much; come to think of it, I have always dreamt of meeting with famous Nigerian artistes that I have listened while in the state.
Tell us a bit about your educational background?
I had my early education in Nigeria at Fountain School Surulere, Maryland Private School and spent two years at Government College Ibadan before I traveled to the USA at the age of 12. I went to High School and College in the states. While in college, I studied Business Management.
As a graduate of Business Management, why did you settle for music?
I grew up loving music, but while in High School I discovered I had a talent for singing in College. I decided to pursue it full time and thus began to build my musical career. In real sense, I have always been a lover of music because I am not that kind of artiste that would say they started music from childhood. I have always been a dancer because while in the states, I used to attend dance competitions and stuffs like that. I think my love for music started when I also went for a competition and was forced by my friends to sing and eventually I won the contest. Later that day, I went home and had a re-think about either singing or dancing.
How would you describe your genre of music?
My music has always been R&B but I can still do a little bit of Pop, Rock music.
What is your impression about Nigerian Music?
Well, Nigerian music is really growing fast and the distribution is highly encouraging. I didn’t really like Nigerian music but it took me some time to begin to appreciate the efforts musicians here in Nigeria. Nigerian artistes need to be encouraged in all ways because when you visit other countries, you notice their government gives their artistes total support. We are really catching up with the foreign musicians.
What was the first major show you performed in Nigeria?
My first major appearance in Nigerian show was at the Ovation Red Carol.
How did you feel performing along side other Nigerian artistes?
I felt so blessed sharing the same stage with them because I have always dreamt of such a moment and I think Dele Momodu’s concert gave me that opportunity to express myself. At first, I was nervous because I am the reserved type and I had to restrict myself. But I was being courted by Banky-W and MI who told me they love my kind of music.
What inspires your kind of music?
I draw inspiration from things going on within and outside my environment because I believe when you zero in on the happenings in the society that you live in, you will end up changing lives with your music. I get inspiration from past relationships as well. Also I get inspired most of the times when I take my bath and more importantly God almighty.
How did you get in contact with Kennis Music?
People keep asking me this question, but let me say this that my connection with Kennis Music was finalized by my big brother Gbenga Adeyinka who made me understand the fact that they can manage me well.
So how has the relationship been so far?
The relationship has been very solid because I think I get along with them very easily because I could remember my first meeting with the entire Kennis Music crew and I was told to remain my humble myself. In a nutshell, my relationship with them is fine and growing.
How would you define music?
To me music is life and it helps hook the entire world together. Music gives life and hope to the dejected people. It helps form a re-union
Do you think Nigerian artistes can be compared with their foreign counterparts?
Definitely, because Nigerian music of today has improved in so many ways ranging from its video production, lyrics and their live performances on stage. Although we are not doing the same music but at least we are almost there; I could recall listening to some of Jay-Z’s songs, I was surprised to have heard some of Nigeria’s old school beats in his songs. In my own view, I think Nigerian music is growing by the day because we have got a whole lot of talented artistes.
Where your parent in support of your music career?
From inception, they were not supportive because they believed it would be un-serious of me to drop out of school. But after a while, they agreed to allow me do music but on the condition that I further my studies. Now that the money is coming in, they are in total support of my career.
How far do you intend to take your musical career?
My vision in life is to be Femi Adeyinka the Nigerian R&B artiste with incredible songs. I want to be the best in anything I set my mind to do. I want to go as far as the world wants me to go. I don’t think any artiste who comes into the industry does not aspire to become a big star. I want to be a big star and I want to remain relevant for a long time.
When should we expect an album from you?
I want my fans to keep their fingers crossed as my album would be released soon because I don’t have a specific time and date for now. I am not in a hurry to release an album; I am still taking my time as I want give my fans the best. I have several people on my yet to be released album. People like Idris Abdul-Kareem, Jaywon and the host of other talents
Do you think your kind of music is ripe enough for the Nigerian market?
To an extent, I would say yes because when an artiste releases a single and is loved by the listeners, then I considered that kind of music as one that is strong for the industry. My songs are ripe enough to withstand the Nigerian music industry.
If you have the opportunity of collaborating with any artiste, who would that be?
Wow, we have got a whole lot of talents in Nigeria but I would consider my self lucky when I have collaborations with top artistes such as Banky-W, Terry-G, 2Face Idibia, Whiz kid among others.

No comments:

Post a Comment