Friday, May 28, 2010

My mum makes sure I am well dressed when I have to perform- Side One



Not much was known about Anifowoshe Oluwatosin, popularly known as Side One until the he sauntered into the sound consciousness of music lovers with his hit single One by One which features Terry G. The fast rising artiste speaks about his burgeoning career and his soon to be released album.


Could you tell us who Side One is?
I am Oluwatosin Anifowoshe popularly known as Side One, a native of Ekiti State. I had my primary education at Malomo Nursery and Primary School before I proceeded to Mayflower School Ikenne where I had my secondary education. I am a graduate of Industrial Relations and Personal Management from Lagos State University.

Why the name Side One?
The Side One thing came into being way back in school when I tried to put things together. I could remember I was in SS1 when I started doing music. During our break time, my friends and other members of the class would gather at a corner of the classroom just to see me perform. It would cost my class mates twenty naira to listen to me sing. After all that, my colleagues in school were calling the name “Egbe Kan”: meaning one side. So when I started music fully, I thought of the name to use, Later I remembered what I was called, so the name Side One came to be after much thought.

What is your relationship like with other artistes?
I would say my relationship with other artistes has been very pure and on a neutral level as we all try as much as possible to contribute to the success of one another. For instance you can see in the studio that we love to see everybody grow.

In what way do you think your kind of music can contribute to the growth of the Industry?
Well, I don’t consider myself doing the gospel side of music because I believe in everything I do; I am just trying to make an impact that would serve as a landmark for others to follow. My contribution to the industry will be in the area of quality video production as this is the only way we can move on the same line with our foreign counterparts. I preach unity and endurance in my music and I know with this, the industry would grow.
What should your fans expect from your yet to be released album?
This message is not for my fans alone but for all Nigerians who believe in the spirit of good music and appreciate Nigerian artistes. They should all keep their fingers crossed and expect the best from me as I value the love shown to me since I ventured into music.

How would you rate the performance of Nigerian artistes as compared to their foreign counterparts?
Honestly, I will say we are doing our best, although the foreign artistes will always show the stuff they are made of. But I must confess to you that the Nigerian artistes have improved in so many ways ranging from their performance level, music video production and attitude towards work and dedication to their music.

Do you have a title yet for your upcoming album and how many tracks are on it?
Yes, the title of the album is Press Play and it’s going to have 16 tracks including my first single One by One.

What is the logic behind the title of the album Press Play?
Well, you know when you press play, you keep dancing, and feel fulfilled as all the kinds of music you want to dance to is right in the album, so all you need to do is to press play to feel the Hip-hop, R&B, Reggae, and Dancehall songs that make up the album.

Your first single One by One shot you to the limelight and the song is also getting constant rotation on radio stations. How do you feel about that?
Honestly, I would say I am grateful and blessed by the true people of Nigeria for showing me support and appreciation. Actually the first time I heard the song on radio, I was surprised and in another way fulfilled that my music is gaining attention. I must confess to you that ever since I heard my song on most of the radio stations, I said to myself that I would do everything possible to positively promote and represent the image of Nigerian artistes.

Have you had any nominations or awards ever since you ventured into the industry?
No, I have got no awards nor nominations yet. I am new in the industry and I think my singles with Terry-G gave me more popularity in the industry. I just shot the video of the track and I believe that next year is my season to clinch awards. And truly before the year comes to an end, nominations should be coming in for me.

Where do you draw inspiration from?
My inspiration comes from God Almighty as I believe he is the giver of all talents, but most of the time I get inspiration from people and things around me. Sometimes, I may be coming from somewhere and something may strike me. Those things are things that need to be changed in the society and the only way I can express that is through my music. I am not one of those who get inspiration by smoking marijuana. The inspiration you get from God is fresher and lasts longer. That is the more reason why in any song I do, I take time to praise him.

How do you unwind?
I think the only time I am less busy is mostly on Sundays from 7am-11am where I take time to attend church service. But on all other days when I am less busy I attend shows that I am invited to perform. I also hang-out with friends, listen to music and as well sleep to relieve myself from burden.
I don’t go clubbing at all as I am not used to that kind of lifestyle. I don’t see my being an artiste as an avenue to indulge in unnecessary acts like other musicians does.

Where your parents in support of your will to do music?
I must confess to you that my parents where not in any way supportive as they believed only unserious people venture into music. My parents wanted me to be fully educated but due to my love for music, I had to drop out at a point in time as I saw myself doing well in music than school. At the initial stage, they were not in support of it but as time went on, I made them see reason and at the end of the day they soft pedaled and my mum especially makes sure that I am properly dressed for a show whenever I want to perform.

Aside music, what else do you do?
I don’t do anything else aside singing because I have always aimed to be one. I am not good at sports or other things. So I think if I am not doing music right now, then I should be dead.

When are you quitting bachelorhood?
It’s really good quitting bachelorhood to becoming a husband but the right thing is to be involved in the right relationship. Well, I would say very soon but for me, I am still seriously searching as I am yet to find my true love. But you can watch out for my wedding soon.

How do you cope with your female fans?
I would say I have really been trying as regards my female fans because they are the backbone of every artiste. I respect them a lot and give my honor to every one of them. Some of the female fans you see nowadays come with different mindsets but I have been coping.

In your own way, how would you contribute to the growth of other up-coming artistes?
Basically, contributing to the growth of other artistes, most especially the up-coming ones is not a problem but its lies in the financial status of whoever is promoting the artiste. When I consider that an artiste is good, the next thing is to take such an artiste to the studio for recording. I don’t care about what the person gives me in return but all I care about is the artiste standing and that will be recorded as a plus to my life.

What record label are you signed on to?
Well, I am currently signed on Spring Records Label.

What would be your greatest achievement in the music scene?
I think that would be when I see myself being recognised globally and when I use my music to impact on the lives of people. Also not to forget ,gaining more hype, fame and acquiring fortune as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment