Friday, May 28, 2010

If a role demands that i show my bra, i wouldn't do it


Ghanian screen goddess Nadia Buari is one of the most sort-after diva’s in the Ghanian movie industry. Nadia who came into limelight after her lead role in the movie entitled Beyonce, whom she says is her role model, has continued to rise and rise in her career as she features not only in Ghanian movies but also in Nollywood movies taking lead roles. In this interview with MUTIAT ALLI and MERCY MICHAEL, the fast rising actress who plays mostly romantic roles shares her first experience on set in Nollywood, her growing, exceptional bond with her mum and siblings, acting among other issues…

What prepared for what you are doing right now?
Well, getting prepared for what I am actually doing now is not a big deal but the fact remains that the character I am planning presently is different from the usual ones but I made up my mind that I was going to put in all my best. The character is a motivating one and so I am prepared by all cost to give out what is expected of me.
Sex is now very much rampant in the Ghanaian movie industry, I saw one forbidden fruit and I was dazzled, you did not play the role but would you act something of such if you were given the script?
I think the only the thing that was questionable was the fact that the purpose for the picture of the jacket, aside from that the only thing she did was put-off her shirt and we saw her bra strips and by that , I don’t think its out of the ordinary. The only problem I see is that our culture does not allow for this because everyone’s perspective to issues differs from the other because there was nothing that she revealed and there was nothing that was out of the ordinary as far as I am concern as supposed to the other actress that we saw a part of her boo, but I have my limit probably because of my moral up-bringing, I have a certain limit I can go in movie production, but its not a big deal. There is another part I think people complained about, that’s the sexing which was also part of the commercial and people was anxious to get the movie to actually what everything in detail, maybe it was the directors way of publicizing the movie. Honestly, it’s wrong in a certain way but should not be crucified as what we heard ever since the movie was out.
Considering our culture, would you play that role?
You see, I just keep wondering what was different apart from her taking off her shirt and reviewing her bra, to that extent I would not do it but I shot a movie that I wore a bikini because a scene demanded it, so I have to do it .
Taking about morality, does that mean that when you are given a role, you take permission from your mum to play it?
I am grown and old enough to make decisions for myself as I don’t need to get permission from my parent before taking up the roles but it’s just my moral up-bringing that would not allow me that because am thinking that with me as far as I am concern would not I consider as crazy roles because we all that are into movie are like a role model to the viewers out there and we get to see them hoping to be like us , so when we start taking on this characters, it affects them.
What is the most fascinating thing a fan ever said to you?
There are whole lots of them, there was one that told I was a Christian because of you, and there is this one that actually keeps me going and touch my heart is I give you the reason to live, initially when I heard that probably people would say that its from a guy who has interest for me but sincerely it was from a little boy who was celebrating his birthday and I had lovely gifts to present to him. So think it was from that moment that I really know I was a star even to be recognized by a little kid.
Did you actually set out to be an actress?
Yes, I have always haven that dream that I would be one because right from when I was a kid, it was right in my mind, so one day I said to myself that I was going to be famous superstar because when I was a kid, maybe because I was a quite person and always cold in my shell and when I was a kind, I never did what other children do like go out to play, I would rather stay indoors and watch movies and every time I watch a movie, I imagine that the characters are in me and when the movie id over, I would probably go and have an imaginary character. I use to tell my mum that definitely I would grow up and be an actress. In actual sense, my mother wanted to study Architecture because I had a passion for building but when I got to the university, I felt very grown and could make a decision and what I want to do, so I decided to study Theatre Act from the University of Ghana and I majored in directing. I do not to study acting because I felt like it was in-born but just wanted to enhance my skills. I believe so much in education, even now I believe I don’t know anything anymore because as this stage of my life when people tell me I am their role model, I just think there is still more for me to learn.
Have you directed any movie one of your own?
Not yet, but I directed a play when I was in the University, it was called a stage play titled murder mysteries, it was a very beautiful play, it was a money machine because I love money machine and it was different because it was out of the usual love plays we see. I directed that and it came out pretty well, probably in the future I can bring that into the real sense but professionally, I have not directed any movie yet, I am just putting a lot of things in place because I don’t want to come out with a movie that is not of standard.
Talking about love stories, you have so much of them, why is that you have acted majorly in love scenes?
I think the African market demands love stories because most producers are business man and they want to make love movies so as to gain enough money because they believe the African market appreciates more of the love movie than the others and as such they believe their money is going down when they produce anything out of love. Even if I am going to do my own movie, I wouldn’t look at the money coming in but rather I would challenge my self and do what others are yet to do and as well would challenge the Nigeria market and the audience just for them to know that they could give a chance for something new.
So when do we look forward to have your own production?
You see, the last time I said this was last year and its gone and I am yet to do something, but pretty soon because I am so busy and working on several set. I am currently trying to put up a crew so that they could be working when I am not around because my mother is my manager and I believe she can handle that, but because of my tight schedule I have not been able to work out things really well but I think I would rather go on break so that I could devote more time to my own production, just keep your fingers crossed.
You are fond of mentioning your mother and you behave gaily, are you that young?
I am not that young but in my mother eyes, I still remain her baby and in my family everyone behaves like a baby because my mother see us as if we were still kids, I know I am not young as I can now make some decisions on my own but my mother would not let you to yourself.
The first time you were coming to Nigeria to shoot a movie, what were your fears?
My second movie Beyonce brought me to Nigeria, the only fear I had was that when I was called up to be part of the crew, it just kept bugging my mind that I have got only little experience in the movie scene most especially in Ghana and I was going to be working along side experienced actors with the likes of Olu Jacob, so I was very nervous that the were people that have been working even before I started, in the other sense, I was very prepared and because I was nervous, I was willing to give out my best. Although I had a supporting role but was not that much but I wanted that if even if I am to appear in just two scenes, I was prepared to give in all my best. I was already prepared mentally, physically and spiritually for the task ahead of me.
How would you describe the kind of treatment you received from them?
Well, the fact that I was very quite and so always by my self, I guess that did not make me feel I wanted to be part of them, they were very nice as they really receive us very well, although I came in with Van Vickers and he was used to them but because of the kind of person I am, it was kind of different interacting with them, maybe they were thinking I only wanted to be my myself alone.
Does that relationship you heard made you want come back to Nigeria for more movie production?
Oh yeah, I worked in so many movie here in Nigeria and sincerely the movies I have done in Nigeria is numerous as I have even lost count of it than the ones I did in my own country. I really love working here in Nigeria but the only problem I have is that I have not been able to get my favorite Ghanaian delicacies because I love food a lot.
Talking about movie roles, apart from the ones you did in Ghana and in Nigeria, which of the roles would you consider challenging?
I don’t think I have been challenged yet that was the more reason why I said the movies I will doing on my own would be different but I am yet to be challenged to that extent that I would look foggy, but the only one I think was when I played the role of a Satan in movie Agony of the Christ was quite challenging not because of the kind of role I played but the things we went through , we shot in a typical local village, the mosquito eating us up every moment, we were filming in a swampy area and the whole time you are given the lines, you are actually thinking about what is scrawling on your feet, so it was very challenging .
Which of the movies do you think gave you fame, the ones you acted in Ghana or in Nigeria?
I started acting in Ghana but my second movie Beyonce brought me more fame, I have traveled across the globe and people don’t even know my name but rather they call me Beyonce. I think Beyonce is one the popular movie in Africa, so I derived my fame from that movie.
What do you think was the preference for you that made Nigeria movie producers to always want you on their set?
Well that I don’t know, but maybe they are mostly impressed by my work and aside my physical attributes they probably are interested with my talent, then in another sense may be they feel been part of their movie, I would be able to convince a lot people that I am actually that character you are watching. I basically think the reason why I am called upon to be a part of their crew is that they feel I would be able to interpret the roles given to me pretty well.
Being a super star, would you like to be part of Holly wood?
You know Hollywood is the peak of movie making in the world and for me I am a growing and a learned actress and I want to get to the top and if the top is Hollywood then my dream is to get there. I am willing to grant movie contract over there as well.
Within the peck of glamour, oh Nadia, what would be the ……..heard about you?
The most of it is that I …..and it gets people around get annoyed and say Nadia what is the meaning of this. I do it deliberately, for instances if I am with my friends and everything looks bored, then I just do what I am used to, maybe later in my years I can find something else.
What do you think we get you out acting as you still look young and fresh in the movie industry?
I don’t think anything could because have been in the industry for four years now and I have been doing my best and after four years I believe I should still be doing what I know best. I don’t know what can get me out of the industry
How do you un-wine?
I believe the best way I can hang-out is to be with my family because I am very comfortable with them, my sisters are like my best friends, but mostly I feel comfortable with my sisters because I think we can share ideals together. I go clubbing with my family and if I am not with them I should be going to see a movie or to shows that I am invited to.
If you are by any chance given an opportunity to act in order language aside English, would you be glad to honor it?
I think there is this major fact that I speak a local dialect but people don’t really know that, so if my any chance I was given a role in other movie language, I would honor it because its good as an actor to be able to act in other local dialect aside English as this would give you more stand in the industry. For instance , aside acting and speaking a local dialect, if a scene demands that in act like a local girl I would have love to do it but most times my complexion would not allow me do such roles.
How true is your relationship with Michael Essien?
Honestly speaking, I was expecting you to ask me that because so many reporters has asked such question from me and I would stick to my words that I would not want to say anything about my private my life.
So how is daughter, is she doing fine?
I am very sorry I don’t want to talk about my kids
Have you gotten any endorsement yet?
Sure, I have got an endorsement with Globam communication in Ghana and then Orange Drugs Limited, although the product is new, it’s not the usual Delta girl and I look forward to do some more because the money you get from it can do you for like two years.
Basically aside acting, what other things do you involve in?
I have got a Non-Governmental Organization I am running, although it’s not launched yet but whatever I do is straight from my personal purse. What I do basically is that either monthly or whenever I have the chance, I go to the less privileges and give them food items and money, but the last one I did was that one day I was watching the Television and I saw an advert that a little boy needed money for an operation as the child had a brain tumor , what I did was that I drove down to the hospital and I paid for the operation because I believe God has blessed in his own way and I needed to support the society in my own way as well. The NGO is already operating but yet to be launched so as to get sponsors and support. Aside that as well, what I do is to devote more time with my sisters and brothers because two of my brothers are into music.
Any plan of going into music in the nearest future?
Yes, I have that dream but the problem I have is that I have got a bathroom voice, but in the nearest future I should be going into music, My prayer is to have a voice like Beyonce so that I can rule as well only that I just pray my voice makes things work out better. I love Beyonce, she is my role model so much because she is focused and a gold digger, even after all that she went through, she is still determined and doing fine.
Would you fight for your man if the situation warrants you?
No, I believe that if the man is yours, then he stays, although you have to fight for what is yours but I would not fight for a man , I would fight for what is mine like if I have something I want to get, what I do is that I just focus my mind towards it and I know I would get it but I can never fight a man because I believe every woman should ascertain some height so if a man goes to hang-out with another woman, that he’s problem but at the end of the day, I would not fight with the woman because it was the man that went behind you, if truly she came after him, then he should have said no to her.
Before you joined Nolly wood, who are the people you have always looked up to?
I thought Ramson Noah was a phenomenon actor, also, Genevieve Nnaji was also a good actress, but sincerely speaking I don’t really watch Nigerian movies because I was used to the foreign movie. I think everyone is different I their of interpreting roles; Omotola Jalade, Joke Silver, Olu Jacob and others are all unique in their several ways. One major thing about roles is that you can never get another person to play the role expected of Omotola Jalade.
How do the Ghanaians see the Nigeria movies?
I think the have a good intentions towards the Nigerian movie, before now, Nigerian movies have dominated the largest part Ghana but nowadays, the Ghanaians appreciates the movie produced in our country better because we do not believe in praising other lands culture and leaving ours.
In the Ghanaian movie industry, you seem to have little population going into acting because if it is not you, it’s Van Vickers?
The fact is that we Ghanaians are small in number, the population of Ghana is like the population of Lagos alone and a lot of people have their minds set on other things, probably they want to do business or other trade. One major thing again is that the producers are not giving the up and coming ones the chance to show their stuffs as this is part of the things I am going to change as when I am going to shoot my movie, I would not be featuring any top act, but rather I would be using the new ones because with this, you get to encourage them.







No comments:

Post a Comment