Wednesday, October 20, 2010

I am a spiritual person..KENNY KORE


Akinbode Kehinde Olumide fondly known as Kenny Kore, a former lead singer of the popular gospel group Infinity other wise known as Olori Oko crooners have been able set a landmark in 2007 after receiving seven awards at the Soundcity Music Video Awards and as such taking gospel music to yet another height. No as a solo artiste, Kenny Kore spoke with MUTIAT ALLI and OGUNLADE ESTHER about life without his group and his pet project amongst others.




As a former member of the popular gospel group Infinity, do you think that the market would be favourable for you?
Yes, it might be hard penetrating into the music scene as a solo artiste, but I believe the stand I have been able to maintain as a former member of my group gives me that impression that I would be accepted, it might be late but definitely it’s a gradual process. I realize the fact is that people had loved us as a group and they still do so, I have a concern for that and I’m sorry about it. I’m a spiritual person and according to his direction I move. I know people will ask question and some still wish we are together.
What have you been involved in after you left the group?
I have not been resting simply because I have been in the studio doing some recordings and writing out lyrics. In a nut shell I have been busy because I am not ready to retire in the music world yet.
What do think differentiates you from your other colleagues in the music world?
I believe everybody is born with a unique and talents that cannot be taken away from you and my voice as a vocal artiste gets to stand me out. Remember I told you that I was the lead singer in my former group and as such the rich content of my voice paved way for us. Let me say this that I am not saying that I have got the best voice but a least I am a good singer.
Why did you leave group Infinity in the first instance?
My leaving the group was on a neutral ground, perhaps its going to be two years by June / July that I left the group for good. I don’t want to put to much attention on it because people kept on asking me why I left my members. We have been together for eleven years but I left because I received the callings of God and I believe it was time for me to move forward .Like I said I wouldn’t also have gotten the courage the leave if it wasn’t what God wanted me to.
Are you trying to say your leaving the group does not have to do with any controversy?
If our fans think I left due to controversy, I don’t blame them because the history of groups and break up in the past and recently have been linked with several controversial issues. For instance, a particular member of the group would say I wrote the first track while others would just come up with other things. When people heard I’ve left the group they where like why don’t you make it controversial for the press to publicize it. Why do they always think controversy will make news for anybody? In any case making it controversial will only make me start to write and destroy the image of my guys which I cannot do because without their support, I would not be where I am today, perhaps, I was able to make a name as a result of the success recorded by the group.
Does that imply that cordial relationship still exists between you and your former group?
To be candid on this issue, for the fact that I left the group does not mean that I cannot have something doing with my guys. We are human beings and as such we are not perfect. Aside the fact that we had quarrel in the past does not mean we are not friends, I see pay them visit and talk on the way forward as far as the entertainment industry is concern.
When should we expect an album from you?
Yes I have an album titled Eledumare that is already gaining massive airplay in most radio stations; this is just the beginning of my revolution.
What does your new album preaches?
My album preaches integrity amongs other things because what I have noticed in our society is that we don’t get to correct what we see as ills in the society, but this is part of what my album preaches and I believe it would do the society and the country at large a lot of good.
What should your fans expect from you as a solo artiste?
My fans should not be in a hurry as everything in this life requires time, basically what has been coming from my heart as an artist is recording a music that would impact a positive change in the lives of the listeners. For instance in my album I have a track titled Yannibo that addresses the issues of fidelity and another one titled Bebelube that addresses the issues of respecting the elderly ones which we no longer have in our society. These are real life issues which even Christians are guilty of. I want my fans to be patient and as well endeavor to get a copy of the album as it is good property for the home.
Have you not been criticized for leaving the group and as well received comments about your album?
Definitely, I have received a lot of critics from friends, fans and close associate but I believe later they would understand, and on the part of my album, I actually gave room for that because at the back of album, I wrote my personal line there so that when people listen to the songs on the album, they have the opportunity to call me and give their comment on it as there room for improvement.
Artistes today give more preference to the returns they get in the making of a CD, rather than take time on the lyrical contents. What is your opinion on this issue?
To me this issue needs proper attention because most of the music we listen to do not have a good lyrical content. To be candid as well, we all need money; I want money I will make money. Every artiste wants to make fast money and by so doing, they don’t attach importance to their lyrics and this is actually affecting our society and the future of our children. Part of what I’m doing is to make publication so that people will know what we stand for. Our musical content should be that which preaches good news that we can be responsible, respectful and that we can love our self.
Do you think you are missing out anything since you left your former group?
Sure, I miss a lot of things but most of them are personal issues, you know certain times when I am about doing things alone, I just think of them because usually we had joint ideas where everyone contributes to the growth of the group, but I know as time goes on I would be used to the single things alone.
What genes of music are you into?
I’m a gospel artiste and I am a socially responsible person, what that means is that I am not a religious person to certain extent because there are some issues religious people don’t talk about which I do. Religious people don’t talk about money, sex and politics but I do that in my music because I was formally a social preacher before I became religious.
Have you find any record label?
No, I have not found any yet because I get to understand one thing about Nigerian producers that a time don’t go for that cool and gospel like music, rather they go for that music that has got a lot of swag and all that. Presently I run my music thing personally under Kennykore production. I don’t want get distracted that is the more reason why I am doing my things myself.
As an artiste do you think the music industry is moving forward?
I will say Yes and No, Yes in the sense that we the artiste are trying our best but the pirates are just killing us as they tend to get the larger share of the production money by what they do and as such they not helping matter at all. No, in the area of bad structure as far as the entertainment industry is concern because our leader’s gives little or less priority to the musicians and this is really affecting us because when you go to other countries, you get to see that the government gives more attention to their artistes. What I want our leader to do is on the area of lyrical content because when there is a law that requires an artiste to bring his or tracks for verification that is passing through several stages before the track is allowed to go air, I believe this would help reduce bad lyrical contents in our Nigerian music.
What advice do you have for up-coming artiste?
My word to them is that always be original in whatever you and more importantly if you have a dream or desire never rest on your oars, battle until you finally get it.
What inspires your kind of music?
I don’t drink nor smoke to get inspired but God Almighty inspires me more as he directs the kind of music I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment