Tuesday, October 19, 2010

My marriage to my ex husband really slowed me down- Ayo Adesanya


Ayo Adesanya Hassan burst into the movie scene in the early when she featured in the now rested soap opera entitled Palace. Her profile later got the needed boost with her roles in two other movies Out of Bounds and Most Wanted which earned her a romance with relative fame. Inspired by her ex husband, Omogoriola Hassan, Ayo who recently turned movie producer says she is ‘living her dream’. The Language and Communications Art graduate of the University of Ibadan revealed that and more in this interview with MUTIAT ALLI.

How difficult or easy is it for you to interpret your roles?
It isn’t that difficult; all I do is do what I do very well. I wouldn’t say I know it all; whatever correction that comes from the director I take it. I always tell people that no matter what they do, they should watch and listen and make additional contributions too, that helps. With that they’ll definitely get whatever they are doing right.

A lot of people feel that your delving into the Yoruba movie genre made you lose out in the English category………
That was not the reason why I lost out in the English genre. I guess it had to do with my marriage too. Because when I was with my ex, the marriage actually slowed me down. I wasn’t giving it my all, because in acting you have to give it your all, to make something out of it you have to give it your all. It is hard being an actress and a married woman. It’s going to slow a lot of things down for you really. It’s either your spouse understands and allows you to do certain things or he is always stopping you, saying you can’t do this or you can’t do that.

Talking about your marriage, were you the one turning down scripts or was it your spouse blocking you or your manager?
May be my manager, but the manager was directed by someone. It wasn’t as if the manager took matters into his hands. He was taking instructions from someone, and nobody is going to wait for you forever, if you are not forth coming. They are going to build somebody else that will take over. At a point, when my husband understood, he said okay, let’s do some movies together and we started working together. And when we started working together it was more of our own productions. I was working mainly on our own production. So, I guess that slowed me down for some time. It actually slowed me down.

You once said your marriage was about killing you, what do you mean by that?
For now, I don’t want to go into that because he is gone for good and here I am doing well. I believe I went into the wrong marriage because I did not take my time to study my spouse, but thank God am out of it already and I am moving on with my life.

What is the biggest lesson you have learnt in the past forty years?
I have never thought about that. But now that I am thinking, I think the biggest lesson that I have learnt is to be more careful in whatever you do. The biggest lesson I believe is, to be careful in making decisions.

What was growing up like for you?
Well, growing up was fun. I grew up with my mum because I lost my dad when I was 19. I was then a fresher at the University of Ibadan. I grew up with my mum and my three brothers. And ever since, we’ve lived together. We were together till I went for my youth service in Imo State. I went back to Ibadan before moving to Lagos in the 80s.

You lost your father at very tender age, how were you able to cope with that?
Yes, I actually lost him when I was 19, I was pained. It was as if my life had come to an end because I was really close to him. Most of the things I know, I learnt from him while he was alive. I was really sad. It was like there was nothing left for me when my father died.

How and when did you start acting?
I started acting in 1996. I went to AIT for a job interview because then I had just lost my job for going to work late. I was working with Pothin Nigeria Limited along Agege Road. I was one of their marketing officers; it was at that point that I realized that lateness can cost you your job.

Has acting been worthwhile for you?
I will say yes, because it has a lot of advantages, aside the fame and popularity, I have been able to mingle with different people from different backgrounds. I also think my acting career has been very helpful to me in the sense that it made me realize what the world really means and what it has to offer.

Would you say you have been able to manage stardom?
Well, I have had some unfortunate experiences in my life really, so I don’t think I have gotten to where I want to be. If you ask me, there is still a place I am going to which I know God is taking me. I don’t know where it is. I have a feel of where it is, I can’t really say my fame has come.

Would you say infidelity was one of the reasons behind your broken marriage?
I was always sincere and honest with my ex because I believe when you are into a marriage contract; you give 100% attention to it. I don’t believe that eighty percent of celebrity marriages crash due to infidelity because at times, things might not just work out for both parties and they just have to separate for peace to reign. The dissolution of my marriage was not based on infidelity because I never cheated on him. I believe I have endured a lot of things that are personal to me and I made the decision to quit as fast as I could. The fact is that, for six years I was enduring and patching things up all in the name of keeping a marriage, and when I couldn’t take it anymore I decided to call it quits.

So how has life been without Goriola?
Goriola is just a name, at least I have been living my life before I met him and now that we parted ways, I am still my very self but sincerely speaking, I must tell you that it is sad losing a marriage of over eight years, but life has to go on.

It is believed that your estranged husband is now busy taking roles more than you do………..
In this life, every body does not move in the same direction, so may be it is his time but trust that I am not also doing bad with the roles I secured lately.

Do you agree that the industry is getting more competitive?
I agree that the industry is getting more competitive and challenging because this does not apply the film industry alone as it cut across other profession. Take for instance, the several communication industry we have around, everyone is trying to be unique in their way as they introduce several packages for their customers, this also applies to the film industry because you now see producers shooting films with a high definition camera and as well the actors and actress putting more life to the roles they play and it goes on. So also, we have new stars coming new, then you find the old ones like doing everything possible to secure good roles so that our chances are been taken over by new set of actors coming into the industry.

You recently released your self produced movie Edun Ara, what has been the reception of people considering the fact that Omogoriola your ex-husband did not produce it?
The reception has been very nice and encouraging because I have received endless calls from my teaming fans praising me for a job well done. Although I was used to Goriola producing all movies but I thought this was high time I do something on my own after all, I introduced him into the industry. He has done is little contribution to the success of my career and now I am coming out to tell the world that I can actually make it even without his support.

So what is the major lesson of your new movie Edun Ara?
The major lesson in the movie is that we should be cautious and remain focus in whatever we are told to go and do in school because you find out that when most of our children are been sent to school, rather than give attention to their primary assignment, they get carried away by other unnecessary things. I believe the movie is a must watch for everybody.
How successful will you say you are now?
I wouldn’t say I am successful; rather I will borrow the word comfortable because at least I can afford to eat the three square meals without begging. I don’t usually count my blessings or success because I believe my lord will still do more.

So if you are not on set or busy, then how best do you un-wine?
I am a television freak person; I just sit at home to be entertained. I watch a lot of movies and TV soaps, but if I am not watching my TV set and I think am bored at all then the right option for me is to go clubbing.

Now that you are no longer married, do you intend taking a second marriage?
For now my sister, my marriage is not on mind because I now see it as a secondary issue after my first marriage did work out as I thought. I just want to move on with my life but I believe something good will surely happen to me.

How do you feel when you read negative stories about yourself in Newspapers and soft sell journals?
There is no time I come across negative stories about myself that I feel so well because it’s very bad when you read them, most especially when there is no bit of truth in the story. Also, I just believe that it is one of the pride one has to pay been a celebrity, but I will advice that journalist get adequate information before going to press. I can say tentatively that most of the wrong stories published about me are not true.

There is this craze for caucus in the Yoruba movie industry; do you also belong to any of it?
On the issue of caucus, it all applies to all the industries because in Nollywood and Music Industry, we find our stars belonging to one group or the other; but for me I have always been a neutral person that is why I even find it difficult to point out a particular find that I have rather I am closer to those that wants my progress. I don’t believe in disrespecting those older than me because I accord respect to both the old and young ones in the industry.

What part of your body do you cherish the most?
I would say my face. Now I’m looking so ordinary but, when I put on my eyeliner, I look totally different. My eye lashes make me look different all the time, once I line them, they talk on their on.

What is your most valued fashion item that you cannot do without?
Most definitely, my hand bag because I have some crazy bags that are like human beings, I go crazy for them because I am that kind of person that has bags attached to different clothes.

Let’s have a run-down of your several designers?
For bags, I have already loved Mui-Mui, for shoes I love David Wedge and Gucci, for my inner wears, I love Victoria secret, for shirts, I love any design that carries the brand name TM, then for perfume, I love Diesel, Elizabeth Arden, Angel Demon and Provocateur because they all have a nice odour.

What is the attraction for the tattoo on your upper arm?
Maybe I am just a copy cat; my ex-husband has lots of tattoo all over his body. So when I had my baby in America, I told him I wanted a tattoo like his, he agreed. And that was it, it was painful though, I would say it was a painful sweet sensation. You know tattoos can be very sexy. It depends on the style. But I find it very sexy.

1 comment:

  1. I was able to get my ex back after I followed the instructions at www.saveabreakup.com I totally recommend this site, saveabreakup.com helped me a lot, all I can say is big THANKS!!! I'm so happy now...

    ReplyDelete