Tuesday, October 19, 2010

MANAGING THE AFFAIRS OF A COUNTRY LIKE NIGERIA IS VERY CHALLENGING..KEN NNAMANI



Kenneth Ugwu Nnamani, a man of reputes and ever determined has over the years been able to cut his teeth pretty well in the country where he served as a one time senator who represented the People’s Democractic Party (PDP), Enugu in 2003. He was appointed chairman of the Committee on Federal Character & Governmental Affairs and member of Committee on Privatization, Federal Capital Territory and Appropriation & Finance.
As if this was not enough, Nnamani became the Senate President of Nigeria between 2005 and 2007 where he served diligently. This business guru also holds a BBA and MBA degree holder from the Ohio University in Athens. Nnamani took the baton of leadership of the Senate from Adolphus Wabara, reeling out ideals of transparency and integrity, in a Senate where the banana peel syndrome had drowned seemingly greater mortals, not a few people raised skeptical hues. Often described as a hero of the death of the third term agenda, Nnamani spoke to MUTIAT ALLI about some of experiences as one time Senate President, his family and one memorable struggle he will never forget during his tenure.


Considering the fact that you were one of those competent leaders who served the country right, what is the main secret behind your kind of leadership?
For the fact that I was appointed a one a time Senate President of the country then does not mean I have to carry it on my head because a leader would always be a leader in the way he/she discharges the duties assigned to him. Every leader has there own ways of contributing to the country that they served as I strongly believe in three driving forces; determination, steadfastness and accountability because when you bear this three keys in mind, you strive hard to carry out your duties effectively.

You have showed interest in the growth and development of Nigeria as a country and still believes you have done nothing much, in what we way are you trying to reposition to the present state of the country?
One thing I weigh upon lies in the fact that, Nigeria has the resources to better the life of its citizens but rather than carry out their roles well, they go through shady ways to deceive the people that we have got no resources. I believe if our government is not ready to help the country regain its balance, then there is need to call on the youths who have the power lying in between their palms. It really baffles me when I see how some of the so called leaders lavishly spend the money that belongs to the country. There is a need for Nigerians to think twice before casting their votes as the country needs a change. It is Nigeria here that I see that there is no cooperation between the government and the people whom they served, compared to other countries, you get to see the people making serious contributions towards the growth of their country, we are bent on keeping our ideals known to ourselves alone, since our government did not give room to participatory governance, then how do we move forward.

So do you think calling on the youth is the right solution to the problems of the country?
Yes, although every one has a role to play in the development of this country as much is expected majorly from the youth as they play prominent functions. The youth decides on whom they want as their leaders that is why you see mostly during the election, you see politicians calling on the youths for their supports because they have their ways of mobilizing other members within their peer group to heed to a particular decision. Every youth is unique in one way or the other but at the end of the day, their decisions amounts to the same things. This is clarion call to all the youths to stand up and represent their country, fight for the state of the country and as well procure lasting solutions. For instance when programme is organized for the adult, you don’t get to see a large turn-out compared to when a programme is targeted towards the youths, you see them come in large numbers, they inform their friends and colleagues on reasons why they don’t have to miss out in a programme of such nature. The adult believes they know it all, but this is not helping the country. The always think of ways they could contribute to the growth and development of the country, I seize this medium to urge the government of the need to create a room so that the contributions made the youths can be considered if truly we want to get to the promise land.

At first, when you were came out for the senatorial seat under the People’s Democractic Party (PDP) in Enugu, what were the things you that was going through your mind?
I was a little bit naïve considering the task ahead of me, later I challenged myself that if other people can do it and create a legacy, why would I not be able to do. When I was finally a member of the team, I was always thinking on the ways I would adopt to make my tenure remarkable. There was a day I was even having the thought that where I am actually going now, there is every tendency that I would be meeting people from various cultural background, the high tempered ones and the rest, so I had to comport myself in addressing people. I could remember my first week in the house, I would bring out my jotter to draw up a plan to be carried out for that week and at the end of each week, I evaluate myself if necessary then later I would call on my friends to inquire from if what I actually did for the week was good enough. I strongly believe in challenges, so I make sure I live and carried out my roles up to expectation.

As a one time Senator and President of the Senate, your impact was really felt as you use your position and intellect to reposition the status of Nigeria’s democracy; we say kudos to you?
Thank so much, I told you earlier that when you are assigned a duty to carry out, then let your impact be felt because when you do the right thing at the right time, you get a reward for it and when you do the other way round, you get a comment because people are watching you, I see myself as a role model to people out there and so there is a need for me to think before taking decisions because when I do the wrong thing, what legacy am I creating for those who look up to me. I don’t want my regime to seen as one of the worst but rather there should be a positive talk about my time, which was the more reason why I worked so hard to save my name and my reputation. I made sure I discharged my obligations well because when I know I cannot carry out a duty well, then why should I accept the offer of been the Senate President that is one of the main issues our leaders should look into be appointing their team mates because in most cases we see that most leaders given roles to play don’t carry it out as expected of them as this is one of the factors contributing to the ill-health of the country.

Which will you consider more challenging; as a Senator or the Senate President?
I will say both of them because they have their own benefit and challenges but thank God, I was able to scale them all with the supports from my other colleagues both as a senator and senate president. More importantly, I will say without been biased that my term as the Senate President is what I consider as tedious, challenging and what have you because I know many thought I could not make it but I disappointed their views and opinions. There are times when I think about some issues, I lose hope talking to myself that” Ken can you do it” and immediately I have this second hope that with all things been equal; I can make it happen.

Taking about challenges, could you re-call any one that you think gave you tough times all through your administration?
That will be on the issues of the third term agenda which I fought till the last day my tenure ended. I said one thing the day I resume the office as the senate president that my own tenure will be seen as the President of the Senate, determined in the Senate, by the Senators and for the Senate. Even at a point when the issue of the third term was becoming unbearable for me to handle, I was still steadfast and determined that the bill will not stay because I stood by the constitution, due process and the rule of law, and by a transparent conduct of public affair in due deference to the mandate of the electorate above personal, party and extraneous consideration, our dream of a new way, a vibrant democracy will survive.

With the pressure faced during the issues of the third term agenda, will you say you achieved the task and success alone?
Although, the death of the agenda was not achieved alone but rather, it was a collective effort that was moved by me. Let me say here that the Economic Finance and Crime Commission (EFCC) under the then leadership of Nuhu Ribadu played a more prominent role in the death of third term; close monitoring of some proponents of the third term agenda stalled some of their planned actions. The struggle would not have been a success if not for the support of those who actually believed in what a true democracy was.

While growing up, where your parent rich?
I will say my parent was not rich at all but at least we could still afford to eat three square meal and they were able to send me to school and we had houses so many places.

So what was growing-up like for you?
Growing up has always been fun and a memorable one for me because I enjoyed every bit of it because whenever I remember some of the things I did while I was young; I just laugh it off. I was neither stubborn nor play pranks on my parents.

Any nostalgia while growing?
Not at all, but all I could say is that whenever I travel out the country, it doesn’t take me short time to come back because I always felt like coming back to home; there is no place like home at all.

As a person in high position, how have you been able to females who will want to cluster around you as the Senate President?
To me dealing with human beings most especially the female counterpart can be difficulty putting at the back of your mind that you can never chase them all. The only way I think ladies may want to move close to me is either when I am in function and I don’t think I give room for that because I will make them understand the fact that I am married man with children.

Considering the task and challenges and ahead of you, how long do you spent with your family?
None as I don’t spend more time with them because when am back at home, the only thing I do is to go to bed after the stress of the day. To me I believe it’s just a sacrifice that would last for some time because I don’t get to see myself interact with my family members as I used to before assuming this position. It’s all over now as I now spend more precious time with them and they are really enjoying it most especially my wife.

Then as the senate president, it is believe you pay less attention to your family, don’t you feel it’s a kind of problem?
Yes, it’s really a problem but who am I to complain, it’s a challenge and task that I have to overcome so as to bring out a good result. Serving a country is as good as you working around the clock because probably when you seems to want to dedicate a bit of time with your family, then you receive calls to come settle or address an issue in the house which I must comply to because it was my duty. So because of my passion for delivery, I know some things would be affected.

How do you un-wind?
Not for now because I am so busy to be found somewhere drinking. The only two places I unwind is to be at home or in the office.

Will you say you enjoyed every bit of the years you use in serving the country?
Definitely, I enjoyed every single bit of it, in spite of the enormous challenges faced during those periods, I was fulfilled that my impact was felt in the ministry I served. Although, you should understand the fact that there is no how you will be doing the right thing that you will never have enemies but thank God, I was able to carry out my duties and I discharged very well. I thank God that I was able to abide my words that my mission was to redesign and revamp the image of the National Assembly, to adhere strictly to the task of bill-making, law-churning, prudence and accountability and to be committed to patriotic ideals of a builder in the legislative arm of governance.

After your tenure as the Senate President, what legacy will you be remembered for?
Aside the fight against the third term agenda, so also will I be remembered for Nnamani Centre for Leadership and Development which was launched in Abuja, Nigeria's federal capital city, with the goal of facilitating qualititative and transformative leadership and development in Africa

No comments:

Post a Comment